Since I haven’t met a liquid lipstick I could resist, I snagged some of ColourPop‘s new Ultra Satin Lips ($6.00 USD, available here). Thankfully, even with the horrible CAD to USD exchange rate right now, $6.00 a pop isn’t too hard on the wallet! I picked out 9 of the 16 initial shades available (and I believe they’ve even added a few more since). Their website doesn’t say too much about the formula, but one can assume from the name that they’ll have a satin finish instead of the typical matte finish of most liquid lipsticks.
- Magic Wand – “light nude”
- Echo Park – “warm, peachy nude”
- Marshmallow – “greyed-out lavender”
- Mess Around – “mid-tone grey beige”
- Petit four – “deep charcoal grey”
- Toolips – “deepened plum brown”
- Tansy – “medium-toned yellow brown”
- Cozy – “true orange-red”
- Prim – “dark, blackened red”
Why You Might Like These:
- They are vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free.
- These are marketed as satin liquid lipsticks. This means that they never dry down to a completely matte finish, although they do lose most of their satin sheen (slowly) throughout the day. If you find typical liquid lipsticks too “flat” for your liking, you might enjoy these!
- Because they don’t dry down completely, they’re very comfortable on the lips! My lips didn’t end up extra dry and parched by the end of the day. I would even say these are lightly hydrating.
- They’re very pigmented and apply smoothly.The formula is light and liquid — but not runny — making these pretty easy to apply. The colour goes on evenly without any patchiness.
- I was surprised at how long these lasted for a non-traditional liquid lipstick. I didn’t even need to touch up after eating! If you do need to add more, however, these layer nicely without flaking or crumbling, so you won’t need to completely remove your lipstick and reapply.
- The line has a great variety of colours, from nude to vampy. It even has a few shades that are a little more “out there”, if that’s what you’re into.
- They’re fairly inexpensive at $6.00 USD each (though my poor fellow Canadians will have to pay a little extra).
Why You Might Not Like These:
- Though they don’t bleed or move around on their own, these will absolutely transfer if you touch your lips. If you need a budge-proof or makeout-proof lipstick, you’re probably not going to like these very much. Your makeout partner will probably hate them, too.
- If you’re looking for a glossy, shiny lipstick, these won’t quite fit the bill for you. Same deal if you prefer an ultra-matte finish. These are somewhere in between, leaning a little more matte the longer you wear them.
- They don’t have a typical “sweet” lipstick scent. It’s slightly chemical-scented, but it’s very faint and I can’t even smell it once they’re applied.
I’m really impressed with this formula, and I love the colour selection! Have any of you tried these out yet? What else do you like from ColourPop? Let me know in the comments!