As I’ve said before, I’m a big fan of strange and/or unique lipstick colours. So, when I saw the LASplash Dia De Los Muertos Collection (14.00$ USD each, available from the LASplash Cosmetics U.S. website or their Canadian website), I got excited. It’s a collection of 6 new, metallic colours in their StudioShine Waterproof Lip Lustre formula. This was a good incentive to finally check out the brand, since I’d been seeing them all over Instagram and YouTube for a while. I picked up 3 of the 6 colours: Guadalupe, Catrina and Valentina. I also grabbed a few shades from their other liquid lipstick collections, which I will review for you all shortly!
Guadalupe – a metallic golden copper shade.
Catrina – a deep brown base colour with a strong metallic blue-green shift. Think M.A.C.’s Blue Brown Pigment in liquid lipstick form!
Valentina – a deep burgundy shade that’s considerably less metallic than the other shades in this collection, but still beautiful. It’s also the most traditionally “wearable” of the colours.
Why You Might Like These:
- The price point is pretty good as far as liquid lipsticks go, and there are always coupon codes floating around if you follow them on Instagram or use Google!
- If you like unique and/or metallic lip colours, these are stunning! I don’t own anything like Guadalupe or Catrina (but Valentina is a little more dupeable, colour-wise).
- The StudioShine Waterproof Lip Lustre line has a nice variety of colours, if these particular ones aren’t up your alley. There’s a good mix of neutrals and brights, and some are more/less metallic than others.
- They are crazy pigmented. You don’t need very much product at all.
- They aren’t kidding with the “waterproof” claim! These are probably the most tenacious, long-lasting liquid lipsticks I’ve ever tried. To get them to come off, I needed to use coconut oil followed by my Bioderma makeup remover.
- The applicator is quite user-friendly and makes it easier to get a straight, smooth line than with some other liquid lipstick applicators I’ve tried.
Why You Might Not Like These:
- Obviously, if you like a more natural/muted lipstick, these colours probably aren’t for you. Ditto if you like your lipsticks to be completely matte. But you should definitely check out the other shades and finishes, if that’s the case.
- If you want your lipsticks to be hydrating, you probably won’t like most liquid lipsticks in general. Because of the long-lasting, waterproof quality, this formula in particular is quite drying over time. I recommend hydrating your lips extremely well (and, if possible, using a lip primer) before applying.
- Their smell isn’t the most pleasant. It does go away once they dry down, but while they’re still wet they have a sort of “chemical” smell to them.
- These don’t layer well once they dry down. If you try to touch up throughout the day by adding more product, it may start to crumble off. It’s best to remove it completely first, then reapply. Although, with the wear time on these guys, you probably won’t need to reapply anyway — I just did it for review purposes.
- Their international shipping is very high ($27.95 USD — ouch)! If you’re Canadian, their Canadian website is the way to go (shipping is $10.00 CAD). Otherwise, there is a $13 USD shipping discount if you spend $100 USD, so you could always either grab a bunch of products at once or combine an order with a friend(s) and split the shipping!
I’m happy I finally bit the bullet and checked out LASplash, especially for those unique colours! Have you guys given the brand a try? What are your favourites? Do you have any other “weird” lipstick recommendations for me? Let me know in the comments!