It’s no secret that I love grey-toned lip colours. I’m also a fan of purples, so when I saw that Jeffree Star’s Velour Liquid Lipstick in Scorpio ($18.00 USD, available here) combined the two colours, I knew I had to check it out! I already have a few other shades from Jeffree Star (you can see my reviews here and here) and they work pretty well for me, so I had an idea of what to expect in terms of formula.
“Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick goes on opaque, dries completely matte and stays on for hours!”
- Scorpio – grey-toned purple
Why You Might Like This:
- It’s vegan, gluten-free and cruelty-free. It’s also free of parabens.
- If you like greys, purples or purple-greys, you’ll probably be a fan! Don’t worry if this colour isn’t up your alley, though, since there are quite a few other shades in the line, from nudes to “crazier” colours.
- The formula is very pigmented and opaque. I didn’t experience any issues with streakiness or patchiness.
- If you’re a fan of matte lip formulas, this does dry down to a completely matte finish.
- It lasts quite a long time on the lips, even through meals (with the exception of anything super oily).
- It stays fairly comfortable, as far as liquid lipsticks go. It’s not hydrating, but I didn’t find it excessively drying, either.
Why You Might Not Like This:
- If you find grey toned lipsticks make you look “dead”, you might not like this particular shade. Unless that’s a look you’re going for, which I sometimes totally do.
- If you don’t like matte lips, you probably won’t like this formula. The same thing applies if you prefer a sheer lip colour over an opaque one.
- If you like your lipsticks to be hydrating, liquid lipsticks generally aren’t your best bet. While this formula is one of the less drying ones out there, it doesn’t give your lips any moisture, either.
- I’m not the biggest fan of this particular doe-foot applicator. I find it to be a little too “fuzzy”, which makes it a little trickier to get a smooth line around the perimeter of my lips. This isn’t a huge issue for me, though, as I often apply liquid lipsticks with a lip brush and/or use a lip liner (I do refrain from using a liner when I do my lip swatches to keep from altering the colour).
Another nice addition to my ever-expanding grey-toned lipstick collection! What are some of your favourited grey-toned shades? What about other shades in Jeffree Star‘s Velour Liquid Lipstick line? Let me know in the comments!