I think I’ve found my perfect “holiday red” for this year! I know it’s a little early to be picking out what I’m going to wear over the holidays, but time has a way of creeping up on you before you realize it. So, with that being said, I’m already planning out some makeup looks with my Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in Hoe Hoe Hoe ($18.00 USD, available for a limited time at Beautylish). The hilarious choice of spelling did not go unnoticed — I see what you did there, Jeffree. This shade is limited edition and has already sold out on Jeffree Star’s website, so act now if you want to want to get your hands on it! It’s worth noting that it has been restocked at least once, though, so you just might get lucky with another restock if you keep checking the site and/or follow Jeffree Star’s social media.
According to the website, “The fierce red is gorgeous, deep toned and has hints of metallic red and purple throughout.” It’s a beautiful deep red which leans slightly cool/blue-based on me. The shimmer translates nicely on the lips and gives them a slight metallic effect, while still remaining subtle. If you want it to be a little more intense, rub your finger over your lips when they’re dry to bring the shimmer out more. The base colour itself dries to a completely matte finish.
Why You Might Like This:
- It’s extremely pigmented and opaque.
- It lasts a very long time on the lips so you won’t need to touch up as often, if at all.
- The formula is one of the more comfortable liquid lipstick formulas available.
- This shade is unique because of the purple shimmer and slight metallic effect.
Why You Might Not Like This:
- While the shimmer is subtle, if you’re wanting a completely matte liquid lipstick, you’d be better off with one of the other shades in this line.
- If you like your lipsticks to be hydrating, liquid lipsticks aren’t your best bet. While this formula is one of the less drying ones out there, it doesn’t give them any moisture, either. You might want to opt for a traditional creamy lipstick or gloss.
- I’m not the biggest fan of this particular doe-foot applicator. I find it to be a little too “fuzzy”, which makes it a little trickier to get a smooth line around the perimeter of my lips. This isn’t a huge issue for me, though, as I often apply liquid lipsticks with a lip brush and/or use a lip liner (I do refrain from using a liner when I do my lip swatches to keep from altering the colour).
Is it sad that I want to start doing holiday makeup looks already? What are some of your favourite “holiday reds”? Or, maybe you gravitate towards other colours this time of year instead? Let me know in the comments!