While doing my holiday makeup shopping, I snagged the Dose of Colors Dare to Dazzle Trio ($58.00 USD, available for a limited time on the Dose of Colors website). The set contains three new and limited edition shades of metallic liquid matte lipstick: Corset, Scarlet Lace and Teddy. I’ve been absolutely loving the metallic lip trend lately, so these are a welcome addition to my collection. This is the first time that they’ve done a metallic finish in their liquid lipsticks, but I would say that it performs similarly to their regular formula. It’s worth mentioning that the Dose of Colors formula is one of my favourites — it doesn’t excessively dry out your lips and it feels very comfortable.
- Corset – a metallic deep plum.
- Scarlet Lace – a medium blue-based red with very fine red and purple shimmer. This one reminds me a lot of Jeffree Star‘s sold-out Velour Liquid Lipstick in Hoe Hoe Hoe (see below picture for comparison).
- Teddy – a rich, warm brown with bronze shimmer.
Scarlet Lace is a brighter, more true “classic red”, while Hoe Hoe Hoe looks a little more pinky-red when swatched next to it. Though they aren’t exact dupes, the shimmer in both is very similar and the colour isn’t too far off. If you missed out on Hoe Hoe Hoe, you should definitely give Scarlet Lace a look.
Why You Might Like This:
- The lipsticks are gluten-free, cruelty-free and paraben-free.
- If you’re a fan of the Dose of Colors regular matte liquid lipstick formula, you’ll find that their metallic formula performs similarly.
- They are extremely pigmented — you probably won’t need to dip the wand into the tube a second time.
- They glide on smoothly and evenly. I didn’t have any trouble with patchiness and the colour builds nicely without flaking off or crumbling.
- They dry to a matte finish but still give off a shimmery, metallic effect. Metallic lips seem to be very on trend at the moment.
- They stay put for a very long time and last through eating and drinking, unless you’re eating very greasy/oily food.
- The colours are beautiful and should work on a wide variety of skin tones — none of them is on the extreme end of light, dark, warm or cool.
Why You Might Not Like This:
- The price of the trio ($58 USD) is more than the cost of three individual liquid lipsticks ($18 USD each), so you might be disappointed if you’re looking for a deal.
- These particular colours aren’t available for individual purchase, which can be problematic if you only like one or two of the three shades. And since they’re limited edition, you unfortunately won’t be able to repurchase when you run out.
- The colours might be too intense for some folks, especially because they’re so opaque and metallic.
- If you don’t like a metallic lip look, you probably won’t be a fan of these (but definitely check out their other non-metallic shades of liquid lipstick).
- If you like your lipsticks to be hydrating, liquid lipsticks aren’t your best bet. While this formula is one of the more comfortable ones on the lips, it doesn’t provide them with any extra moisture.
- As with all liquid lipsticks, these will emphasize and dryness/flakiness on your lips. You’ll need to make sure your lips are prepped and in good shape if you don’t want that to happen!
As I mentioned earlier, this trio is limited edition so if you’re thinking about picking it up, I wouldn’t wait too long! Have any of you tried the Dose of Colours liquid lipsticks? What about their other products — is there anything you think I should check out? Let me know in the comments!