When you think of lipstick colours, you probably think of pinks, reds, peaches, nudes, etc… Green probably isn’t at the top of that list. I’ve been a fan of odd lip colours for a long time, but I know they’re definitely not for everyone. If they are your scene, though, or if you want to venture into crazy lip territory for the first time, Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in the shade Dirty Money ($18.00 USD, available at Jeffree Star Cosmetics) is a great one to try!
It’s a unique matte green with enough grey in it to keep it muted. This makes it a bit easier to wear if you’ve never worn green lips before, since it’s not as “in your face” as something brighter. Let’s not kid ourselves, though, it’s still a green lip. There’s definitely a certain amount of boldness there!
The product itself is very pigmented, dries quickly to a matte finish and lasts a really long time. It’s on the more comfortable end as far as liquid lipsticks go – not too drying, but it definitely isn’t hydrating either. Unfortunately, that’s par for the course with liquid lipsticks because of their matte finish. Make sure your lips are well moisturized and exfoliated before applying, because I can think of nothing less appealing than crusty green lips! Yuck!
If you’re new to wearing something like this and not quite sure what to do, I’d recommend pairing it with neutral (if any) shadow and lots of mascara, so that the focus is on the lip. You could also put a modern spin on the classic “bold lip and winged liner” look by adding a wing. Make sure to add colour to your cheeks if you want to avoid a corpse-y look due to the grey tones! If you happen to be in the same boat as me, however, and this isn’t something out of your comfort zone, feel free to pair it with whatever you like!
Why You Might Like This:
- It’s extremely pigmented and completely opaque.
- It dries to a matte finish (very on trend right now) but isn’t uncomfortable to wear.
- It lasts a very long time on the lips.
- The colour is unique – I can’t think of another cosmetics line that carries anything quite like this.
Why You Might Not Like This:
- The colour might be too extreme for some people.
- If you don’t like a matte lip look, you probably won’t be a fan of this formula unless you add gloss on top (which might affect the wear time).
- If you like your lipsticks to be hydrating, liquid lipsticks aren’t your best bet. While this formula doesn’t dry out the lips excessively, it doesn’t give them any moisture, either.