Hello there! Long time no chat! I sincerely apologize for the lapse in posts over the last few days; life got a little bit hectic and I had to travel for doctors appointments and all that jazz (the joys of spinal surgery)! But anyway, I’m ready to get back to business. And by “business” I mean “makeup”. A while back, I purchased some new shades of the Coloured Raine Matte Lip Paints ($17.00 USD, available on their website) and, when they arrived, I decided it would be a good idea to just swatch my entire Coloured Raine collection for you all. I don’t own all of the colours, but I do own a few and I reach for them quite often. I’m going to split this into two parts because my lips will basically try to peel off of my face and run away if I try on too many liquid lipsticks in a row – those things are tenacious! Today I’m going to swatch the shades Mars, Sugar, Marshmallow, Soul and Suede. None of these are the new ones (sorry, keeping you in suspense for Part II) but they do happen to be some of the more popular shades!
- Mars – “dusty rose”
- Sugar – “nude with pink undertone” (it actually pulls more peach on my lips)
- Marshmallow – “greyish taupe”
- Soul – “greyish brown with slight purple undertone”
- Suede – “cappucino” (it has a slight mustard/yellow undertone which makes it unique)
Why You Might Like These:
- Vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and paraben-free (I just wish they were actually free).
- They’re extremely pigmented.
- They dry to a matte finish and don’t transfer.
- They last a very long time on the lips so you won’t need to touch up often. If you do need to add more, however, these layer quite well without flaking or crumbling, so you won’t need to completely remove it and reapply.
- The formula is one of the less drying liquid lipstick formulas available.
- If you’re into the “greige” lip trend, Marshmallow and Soul will probably be right up your alley. Mars and Sugar make great everyday neutrals (though Sugar might pull a bit too light on its own if you’re very deep-skinned), and Suede is such a unique colour because of the strong yellow undertone.
- The Matte Lip Paint shade range is fairly wide (and they continue to come out with new colours) if you’re looking for something outside of these particular shades.
Why You Might Not Like These:
- If you don’t like a matte lip, you probably won’t like these unless you add gloss on top (which might affect the wear time).
- If you like your lipsticks to be hydrating, liquid lipsticks aren’t your best bet. While this formula doesn’t dry out the lips excessively, it doesn’t give them any moisture, either. You might want to opt for something with more of a sheen.
- While the wear time on these is excellent, this does make them a little harder to remove. You’ll probably need an oil-based remover to do the job properly.
- Coloured Raine is another company that you can only get online in Canada/internationally (and it’s only at limited retailers in the U.S.), so there’s a good chance you won’t be able to see them in person before you buy. They do, however, ship worldwide and, from my experience, it’s been very fast!
Stay tuned for Part II of the Coloured Raine swatchfest (including new colours)! Do you own any of the Matte Lip Paints? Let me know in the comments!