I finally got my hands on the Kat Von D Metal Crush Eyeshadow in the shade Thunderstruck ($25.00 CAD/$21.00 USD, available here). They’re described as “an innovative eye shadow with maximum pigment and extreme long wear”. Since I own a couple of these (see my other review here), I was already a fan of the formula. I wanted to pick up this colour to use not only as an eyeshadow, but also a face highlight after seeing it used this way by tons of other people on YouTube and Instagram.
- Thunderstruck – “metallic pearl”. It’s a pale, warm white gold with a slight pink duochrome effect.
And, as I mentioned, this particular shade works great as a highlight — even on fair skin like mine. Here it is used lightly on my cheeks (full face details here):
Why You Might Like This:
- Kat Von D‘s shadows are 100% cruelty-free. This shade is also vegan.
- It’s insanely buttery and pigmented, applying smoothly in a single swipe.
- It has an amazing metallic finish without any grittiness.
- It lasts really well throughout the day (though it’s worth mentioning that I always use an eye primer under my shadows).
- This particular shade works as both an eyeshadow and a face highlight. It has a unique pink-gold duochrome effect that looks really pretty on the cheekbones, and it has enough warmth to it to work well on many different skin tones.
- There’s a nice selection of colours to choose from in the Metal Crush Eyeshadow line, if you’re not feeling this exact shade.
- The pans are quite large, so you get a nice amount of product.
Why You Might Not Like This:
- These shadows are intense. Even the neutral shades pack a punch, so these won’t really give you the most “natural” eye look, if that’s what you prefer.
- If you’re worried about lines on your eyelids, metallic shadows can emphasize them. You can still wear them, just be mindful about placement and use them more sparingly in your eye look.
- My biggest gripe is that Kat Von D’s products (especially newer ones) are quite often sold out at Sephora and restocking takes some time. When items are restocked, they tend to disappear again quickly. It might be hard to get your hands on these, even though they are permanent products.
This shade works just as well as the other ones I’ve tried, and I love that it can do double-duty (great if you’re travelling and want to bring fewer makeup items). Do you have any makeup products you use in multiple ways? Let me know in the comments!